The Girard-Perregaux watchmaking house is known as one of the best and oldest in the industry. And while we definitely expect quality from this prestigious brand, we don’t really expect them to deliver excellence en masse. For Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH) 2009, they delivered not just 1 but eighteen new pieces to the watch-loving public. Here’s a quick peek at some of them.
The Tourbillon with Three Gold Bridges, Perpetual Calendar and Chronograph hearken back to the original Tourbillon Sous Trois Ponts d’Or design by Constant Girard himself. This design was so accurate that it
- Was a winner at the 1889 universal exhibition in Paris
- Won accuracy competitions for 12 straight years, which got it banned by 1901
- Carried the Girard-Perregaux brand into the 20th century
A little more contemporary is the Monte-Carlo Historic Rally, a collection of watches that commemorates the ever-popular race from the French Alps to the Riviera. This collection is comprised of the Rally Monte-Carlo 1973 and the Rally Monte-Carlo 1983.
- The 1973 edition has watches with and without a tachymeter. Both versions, however, have fly-back timers.
- The 1983 edition has a 24-hour indicator, an inner revolving bezel and an option for a steel bracelet instead of a leather strap.
- Both editions are limited to just 250 numbered pieces per release.
Much is in store for the ladies as well. The Cat’s Eye Annual and Zodiac Calendars combines the complexity of two calendars and the allure of a Cat’s Eye dial. This oblong watch is fit only for the most elegant of ladies.
- It has 68 or 315 diamonds set into the case, 40 jewels in the movement and an onyx set into the crown.
- Bracelets are available in white or pink gold, while straps can be had in fine satin.
- The mechanism for the moon phases is so accurate that correction is only required once in about 292 years.
2009 seems to be a year for Girard-Perregaux to bring itself back into the public eye as a maker of extremely accurate premium watches. Even in these tough economic times, now might just be a good time to get yourself one.